Hey guys! This is a blog about my experience in Indonesia. I am not sure how often I will be able to update it, but I'd like to keep you all informed. I'll be teaching in North Jakarta (Kelapa Gading area) for the school year of 2007-2008 (August '07 - June '08). I will be teaching Pre-K and Kindergarten at North Jakarta International School.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Indonesian Independence Day

Here's me and my Indonesian friends for the day. I couldn't tell you their names... and I haven't seen them since that day... mostly because the church is so big you can never find anyone again. That's why I call them my friends for the day. Notice how I wore a hat... I thought I wouldn't stick out as much with my blonde hair covered up!


Since I'm so much bigger than the Indonesians, they convinced me to play tug-a-war, because they thought I'd be so much stronger! Don't forget my big muscles everyone... now I've got proof!


I participated in this one: You have to run to the other side with a balloon inbetween you and your partner. Our balloon popped and we had to start again!





Carrying a marble in a spoon in the mouth.



Who can eat the cracker on the string with out their hands the fastest.

Sack Race: Two people jump in the sack together and race to the other side.
August 17th was the Indonesian Independence Day. The church had a huge celebration. We had a game-day. All 1500 members were divided up into teams of about thirty. Every team was a different color. We then played Traditional Indonesian games. It was so neat to participate in this cultural experience. I was on the Red ("Merah" in Bahasa) team. We had a chant they tried to teach me. It went something like this:
Yo ayo tim merah
Ku mau harus menang (maju) 3x
Maju tak gentar membela yg benar
Maju serentak
Tentu merah menang
Bergerak (2x) (tut 2x) serentak (2x) (Tut 2x)
Mulah (2x) Merah
I don't know what I was saying, but it basically said something like:
Fight Red Team
Go Red, fight Red
Whatever it said, it was fun!