Hey guys! This is a blog about my experience in Indonesia. I am not sure how often I will be able to update it, but I'd like to keep you all informed. I'll be teaching in North Jakarta (Kelapa Gading area) for the school year of 2007-2008 (August '07 - June '08). I will be teaching Pre-K and Kindergarten at North Jakarta International School.

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Singapore!


This is a tastey treat that Indonesians love. I learned about it from my new friend inSingapore that is origionally from Indonesia. It is bread with butter and chocolate rice (chocolate rice is chocolate sprinkles). Its not bad, it tastes exactly how it sounds...like bread, butter and sprinkles.




You can't really tell from the picture, but it is pouring down rain. I was soaking wet just running from the taxi to the entrance to the mall. It rained harder then I've ever seen.





This is my friend from the Singapore church who took me to the huge electronics mall to get my laptop. She's so great, she bargained well for me.
If you look closely we are eating icecream folder up in a piecec of bread. Its a Holland treat that is popular in this area of the world. My icecream flavor is sweet corn. (it was quite yummy)
This is me at the Night Safari. It was so neat to see the animals in the night time. They are so much more active... Tiger eating its prey, hippos and rhinos playing in the mud, otters sorting out recycling. But I couldn't use my flash on my camera so none of the pictures turned out well. But it was something to remember.



Wow! Other "bulay" (white people). To the left of me is a disciple with an amazing story. She has lived in African villages, Iraq during the war (and couldn't leave her apartment), many other places and now lives in Kruate (huge muslim population). She was the speaker for our "singles talk."

And to my right is the married disciple that I stayed with. She's from the States. That's why they wanted me to stay with her. They were great hosts. Showed me everything I ever needed to see.
This gigantic building is the church in Singapore. The top floor is a cafe that is run by disciples and is only open before and after church on Sundays. The basement is a DPI library. They open it up to sell books every Sunday. It is beautiful inside.