Hey guys! This is a blog about my experience in Indonesia. I am not sure how often I will be able to update it, but I'd like to keep you all informed. I'll be teaching in North Jakarta (Kelapa Gading area) for the school year of 2007-2008 (August '07 - June '08). I will be teaching Pre-K and Kindergarten at North Jakarta International School.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Depression in the city of Jakarta

Hello All!
I'm sure most of you heard about the 8.5 earthquake and the sunami afterwards. Don't worry, I'm writing to let you know I"m ok. I didn't even feel it. The 8.5 earthquake was off of a different island. It is so sad. Many people died from it. Terrible, terrible. We did however received a 7.9 after shock directly off of the coast of Jakarta. That one was felt by most of Jakarta. Not much damage was done to the city itself. And, as for me, I was in the shower and didn't even know there was an earthquake. My co-worker who lives below me felt it and freaked out! She said the doors started swinging and all she could hear was cracking and crumbling noises. She called me over and over on the phone, then she came and knocked on my door. Then she ran down to the lobby and wouldn't go back up to her room for hours. And the whole time I didnt hear anything. I was as content as could be singing in the shower! :)

My PDA (Bible Discussion Group) came over to my apartment about 30 minutes later and I asked them if they felt the earthquake. They all said, yes... but they weren't really concerned. They feel them so much here, its almost abnormal if you don't have one. So no one was really interested in talking about it. I appreciated all of your concerns and prayers for me and Jakarta. Its nice to know that I'm cared about back home.

There are so many ways I see depression in this city. Last weekend when I was driving with a friend through Jakarta, we drove by a burning building... people just staring at it... with the smallest fire engines and just a little bit of water, trying to put it out. Also we drove by a lady that had cimbed up into a tree and was threatening to jump and comitt suicide. There was a police officer trying to get her to come down... and a crowd of people watching. It was just terrible. So please say a little prayer for this city.