Hey guys! This is a blog about my experience in Indonesia. I am not sure how often I will be able to update it, but I'd like to keep you all informed. I'll be teaching in North Jakarta (Kelapa Gading area) for the school year of 2007-2008 (August '07 - June '08). I will be teaching Pre-K and Kindergarten at North Jakarta International School.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Taman Safari

Taman Safari is in a village called Bogor. It is about an hour outside of Jakarta. Some of my friends arranged a trip for me to go to the Safari with them. It was such an amazing experience. We drove through the safari and the animals came right up to the car. We fed them carrots and bananas right from the car! Then after the driving part, we walked through the baby zoo. They had some baby animals that we could take pictures with. I took pictures with the baby tiger, lion, and orangatan. Most of you might be thinking about all kinds of germs I could get from the animals. But when you are around experiences like this, you just gotta jump at them. When on earth would I ever be able to do these things again. We need a little risk in our lives. Don't worry, I washed my hand before and after every animal I touched. Then we walked through the bird exhibit. The birds were everywhere! And such exotic birds too! These birds were not scared of people at all. In fact I was the one scared of them. I basically hid behind my friends during this part of the trip. The birds just hop right on to your arm or shoulder. Some of them sit on the railing and squawk at you and won't let you pass. After the bird exhibit, we watched some animal shows. We saw the sea-lions perform and after that a bird show. Then we walked through the rest of the zoo and stopped to feed the elephants and camels on our way. My friend Angel and I even got to ride the camel. I felt like I was riding through the desert in the olden days by camel. How cool! To end the trip we walked up to the waterfall and took some scenic pictures. What a long but amazingly wonderful day!



The zebras were amazingly beautiful. They came right up to the car and took the carrots right from your hands.








Feeding the deer from the car. They were so greedy.








This is me feeding a lama outside my window of the car.








This is me and my daughter... don't we look alike? She sure had fun playing with my hair.








Me and a baby white tiger... he doesn't really look like a baby does he? But he was so soft and quite content, if you can't tell from the picture.








Me holding Baby Simba! He just fell asleep in my arms. How would you like to have this kitten at home with you?








I think this hippo is hungry! He held his mouth open for a long time, waiting for us to throw food into his mouth... Have you ever heard of the game "Hungry Hippos?" Well, I witnessed it, its true!








This is Angel and I riding a Camel. How many people can honestly say they've ridden a camel before? Guess how much it cost.... 1 American dollar!











These are the girls that came on the trip with me. The waterfall was the last stop we took in Taman Safari. Angel, Me, Sisil, Mantju (from left to right)